Monday, February 9, 2009

The Importance of the Septuagint for Biblical Studies

We use the Septuagint all the time in our study of the Hebrew Bible, comparing the reading with our Hebrew text (BHS) and trying to explain the differences.  It's proven to be a valuable exercise and required me to use my Greek much more than I'd anticipated.  After all, I went in to Hebrew Bible and not New Testament primarily because I liked studying Hebrew better than I liked studying Greek.  That and a good understanding of the Hebrew Bible and Second Temple Judaism is essential to being a good NT person anyway.

Therefore, I was pleased to see Tyler Williams has posted his "Reasons to Study the Septuagint."  I recommend it for all of you thinking of going in to Hebrew Bible to get away from Greek.  It won't work and Tyler will tell you why.

HT:  John Hobbins

1 comment:

  1. Logos Bible Software has begun working on the Göttingen LXX. This version will be morphologically tagged, and the apparati will be linked directly to the primary sources.

    I thought you might be interested!

    Göttingen Septuagint

    ReplyDelete