Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Joash Inscription and James Ossuary Probably Not Fake After All

Well, despite my return to maximalist tendencies, I don't think we should go that far.  However, the case against the alleged forger of these items is not going well.  Apparently enough doubt has been raised and enough scholars have recanted their accusations of forgery that a conviction will be difficult to get, and the whole case may be dismissed after all.  One of my colleagues did a paper on the Joash inscription and felt it was a forgery.  I should ask him why this case isn't as airtight as it seemed.

And, yes, Jim West has written on this, too, even though I heard about it also via Agade.

2 comments:

  1. yeah but i told jack. shhhh though, that would make some people's heads explode.

    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jim,

    I've noticed Agade is sometimes a day behind on some of these stories. It's old news when it comes across the list. He was at the front end of the wave this time though. Probably due to his very efficient unnamed sources.

    ReplyDelete