Monday, September 8, 2008

Greetings from Italy

The weather is beautiful here in Misano Adriatico, Italy.  The Nida School for Translation Studies is now underway.  The program for the next two weeks includes sessions focused on cognitive linguistics with David Tuggy and sessions with Edwin Gentzler focused on translation theory from the perspective of cultural studies and comparative literature.  There's a whole wide world out there of translation studies that bible scholars and bible translators rarely ever encounter, so I anticipate a very educational experience over the next two weeks.

Here's a view of the San Pellegrino Institute hosting the Nida School.

San Pellegrino Web

Here's the view of the ocean from my room.

room with a view Web

The beach is only a short walk away.  I went down this morning to discover that even early in the morning (around 9 am) one can see the native retiree population in all their speedo-ed glory.  I quickly withdrew from the area and went to read some linguistics articles.

Beach Web

If I gave you a full-resolution pic, you'd be able to see some of the natives in the center of the picture.  Apparently, Misano is something like an Italian version of the Riviera and the place was swarming with tourists only a week or two ago.

Unfortunately, I'm not on vacation.  I'm working.

No comments:

Post a Comment