Sunday, February 3, 2008

The Beginning

I am starting this blog to share my thoughts and opinions related to the study of the Hebrew Bible and related disciplines. Time will tell how much I am able to contribute as I am in the middle of a demanding doctoral program in Hebrew and Semitic studies. I am also an active member of a local Christian church, so one of my primary goals is to explore ways to make my academic study of the Bible relevant for the Christian church.
My interests range much further than just the study of the Hebrew Bible (Old Testament). Most of my research interests would fall under the category of Biblical Interpretation. The Hebrew Bible provides the foundation for serious study of Judaism and Christianity. It is pretty hard to jump into reading rabbinic literature or the New Testament or the early church fathers without having some knowledge of what is said in the Hebrew Bible. The New Testament and the Mishnah, Talmud, and Midrashim are constantly quoting Scripture from the Hebrew Bible. An understanding of the world of Ancient Israel and Second Temple Judaism is essential to interpretation. Even the Quran, the sacred text of Islam, connects to the Hebrew Bible, tracing the origin of Islam to Abraham and claiming numerous biblical prophets in its heritage.
So the bottom line...read the Hebrew Bible...without it, we wouldn't understand the heritage of three of the most prominent religions of the world. In the meantime, I'll add my two-cents worth about here from time to time.

No comments:

Post a Comment